Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Whats your A1C?

Mine was 7.2 yesterday. It needs to be less that 7. I've been trying to lower it since May when it was 6.8. Good job huh? I've already said that I love cake, but clearly I love carbs too. Pretty much anything that is made with sugar or turns to sugar QUICKLY in my body.

The thing is, I work with food everyday. I know what I should eat, and what not to eat. But why can't I stop? If you've never had an addiction you can't understand. I am addicted to food. No wait, I am addicted to bad food. McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, Tim Hortons, fry me, bake me, dredge me in sugar! Fat, sugar, fat, sugar, give me more, more, MORE!

So back to the A1C. This is a blood test that tests your blood sugar. But not just that it tells the DR what my blood sugar has been for the last 4 months. So in those 4 months instead of lowering this number, I actually raised it. I'm a diabetic. Since my dad was diagnosed wit diabetes 15 years ago, I knew that I would be at risk for it some day. But what did I do to prevent it? Nothing. And now I am on medication. Not insulin. Just a pill twice a day.

I hope that this is the wake up call I need. I have been on Weight Watchers on and off for about 10 years. I love WW and the program but even though I lost 13 lbs in the last 4 months, my A1C was up. If I want to stay with WW I have to do it low or no carb. This shouldn't be to hard. I go in 5 weeks to a new DR.

Armed with my no carb approach to WW and my Metformin, I know I have to do this. For me, for my husband, for my kids.

1 comment:

SuperMom Blues said...

It's a hard road, but one I know you can handle!! *Hugs* Jenni